6 reasons to try preventative Botox (from medical pros and patients)
Have you been hearing a lot about preventative Botox lately?
It’s a new trend among people in their 20s and 30s who are getting Botox treatments before they start to see major forms of aging. While traditional Botox is a reactive approach to smoothing out facial lines and wrinkles, preventative Botox is a more proactive approach—it prevents those facial lines and wrinkles from ever forming in the first place.
We’ve compiled a collection of fast facts and testimonials from preventative Botox professionals and patients alike. Here’s what they have to say about the popular procedure.
1. “We are definitely seeing more clients in their 20s, who are using Botox to try to prevent wrinkles and fine lines that their mothers are trying to get rid of.”
Carey Henderson, Nurse Practitioner
Easley and Clemson offices of Clemson Eye Aesthetics
Source: Greenville News
Preventative Botox is popular among people in their 20s and 30s because it has a more minimal effect without being less effective. What does that mean, exactly? While younger patients don’t require as much of the injectable as some older patients, the results aren’t as long-lasting, either—but that’s because they don’t need to be. Think of it like diet and exercise: If you work out regularly, it’s easy to stay in shape. But if you spend a year or two not working out at all, it’s much harder to get back into the shape you once were.
2. “Many millennials prioritize taking care of themselves early on and really believe in prevention.”
Dr. Panta Rouhani Schaffer, Dermatologist
NYU Langone Health
Many people are adding preventative Botox to their basic routine for health, hygiene, and happiness. Similar to tweezing our eyebrows or extending our lashes, preventative Botox helps us feel like our best selves. These days, more and more young people are putting Botox treatments in the same category as getting waxed, coloring their hair, or getting facials. So the next time you’re thinking about making an appointment to the spa or salon, consider adding a trip to your local skin center into the mix. We’re happy to have you!
3. “Since frown lines, crow’s-feet, and expression wrinkles are due to the repetitive folding of the skin, people have realized that by injecting earlier, you can keep them from happening in the first place… Slowing down the use of these muscles early in adult life will prevent the lines from developing.”
Dr. Jody Levine, Dermatologist
National Medical Director of AOB Med Spa
The idea behind preventative Botox is to treat trouble areas, such as frown lines and crow’s feet, as early as possible. The earlier you start, the fewer treatments you’ll need down the road. While traditional Botox sessions usually take place every three to four months, preventative botox treatments can be spaced out for up to 10 months, or at most twice per year. As a bonus, preventative Botox requires little to no downtime for recovery. Fewer treatments? Quicker recovery? That’s what we call a win-win.
4. “It’s been crazy to see the progress. If more people had told me what you can do with Botox sooner, I would have gone a couple of years earlier.”
Leah Walkiewicz, 27-year-old Product Manager
What do you wish you could accomplish with preventative Botox? With just a few modest shots in your forehead, glabella (area between your eyebrows), or crow’s feet, you’ll enjoy a transformative experience that has benefited thousands of people around the world. And as the stigma attached to Botox continues to fade (like face lines and wrinkles!), it’s easier than ever to share your success story with your friends, say, at brunch or on Instagram.
5. “The procedure (12 injections) took about five minutes… I saw results a few days later—on the fifth day there it is, a slighter better version of me. Friends can’t put their finger on what it is—and that is just the result I wanted.”
Charley Williams-Howitt, Beauty Director
Source: Women & Home
The best part about preventative Botox is that it won’t make you a whole new person overnight. Yes, that is a good thing! The subtle smoothening of your skin will have you looking younger and feeling better without it becoming a major distraction. Of course, your beauty will still stop traffic, but only because you’ll look like yourself—just a little bit brighter, happier, and more youthful.
6. “The idea that once you start getting it, you won’t be able to stop… is a myth.”
Amanda Montel, Botox User & Fashion Reporter
Worried you’ll need to keep coming back to Botox? Don’t be. The idea that your wrinkles will come back worse than before after having preventative botox is simply not true. Remember that exercise analogy? We do it little by little to prevent ourselves from gaining weight, right? Preventative botox is based on the same principles—doing a little bit now can go a long way later.