Three benefits of exfoliation (with expert picks)
There’s nothing better than silky smooth skin after you exfoliate, but did you know that the benefits of exfoliating go beyond the surface?
On top of improving skin texture and appearance, regular exfoliation can help to:
- Reduce the appearance of blemishes and acne. Exfoliating can help to remove excess oil and dirt from the skin, which can help to prevent breakouts. It can also help to unclog pores and reduce inflammation.
- Improve skin’s ability to absorb products. Get the most out of other skin care products. By removing dead skin cells, your skin is able to better absorb other serums and moisturizers. This means that your skincare products will be able to work more effectively, which can lead to better results.
- Promote collagen production. Collagen is a protein that gives your skin its strength and elasticity. Boosting collagen production helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Regular exfoliation is great for your whole body. From physical scrubs to chemical serums, there are many options to meet your needs.
These exfoliators use small particles to physically remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Sugar Scrubs – Use sugar crystals to buff away dead skin cells. Here’s a popular sugar scrub.
- Salt scrubs: These scrubs use salt crystals to exfoliate the skin. Did you know you can make your own?
- Granular cleansers: These cleansers contain small beads or granules that help to exfoliate the skin. Here are some of the top granular cleansers avaliable.
These exfoliators use acids to dissolve dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs): AHAs are water-soluble acids that exfoliate the top layer of the skin. Some common AHAs include glycolic acid, lactic acid, and citric acid. Get some dermatologist recommendations.
- Beta hydroxy acids (BHAs): BHAs are oil-soluble acids that exfoliate the deeper layers of the skin. Some common BHAs include salicylic acid and betaine salicylate. Here’s an exfoliator that contains BHAs.
It’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. Here are some specific product recommendations for different skin types:
For dry or sensitive skin
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Scrub. This gentle scrub uses jojoba beads to exfoliate the skin without being too harsh.
- CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser. This cleanser contains salicylic acid to exfoliate the skin without drying it out.
For normal to oily skin
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant: This exfoliating toner contains salicylic acid to remove dead skin cells and excess oil from the skin.
- COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner: This toner contains AHAs and BHAs to exfoliate the skin and improve its texture.
For acne-prone skin:
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution: This toner contains glycolic acid to exfoliate the skin and reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum: This serum contains a blend of glycolic and lactic acids to exfoliate the skin and improve its texture.
Looking to take your exfoliation game to the next level? Try a microdermabrasion treatment or a chemical peel by a licensed professional. Schedule a consultation with us!